Sunday 14 October 2018

Guelph Lake Outing

I unfortunately have not had much time to enjoy birding or nature much this fall due to a very heavy work schedule combined with the sale and purchase of our house in Fergus (I am staying in Fergus).  However, I decided to head over to Guelph Lake this afternoon since I had heard that there were 4 Brant reported yesterday.  I scanned the shoreline for about 15 minutes with no luck.  After leaving and wandering around the trails for a bit, I returned to the parking lot and saw Elaine and Ethan Gosnell who tipped me off that the birds were back! I'm not sure where they were hiding, but I went back out to the beach and there they were in plain view.


I was on my way out when I came across a large mixed flock of sparrows and other passerines foraging along the roadway.  I stopped and had a great time enjoying the variety and abundance of songbirds present.  The highlight was probably the lone Orange-crowned Warbler I found.

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Field Sparrow

Orange-crowned Warbler

The White-crowns seemed to enjoy foraging around my car.
A great day to be out enjoying the fall colours and some good birds too!

2 comments:

  1. Nice that you saw the Brant. Must be a good time of year since we had some at Sarnia on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blake! Yea it was nice to see them. Glad you got some in Sarnia too!

      Delete