Friday 12 December 2014

Snowy Owl, first of the season

Well it looks like the winter of 2014/2015 is shaping up to be another doozy for Snowy Owls which have once again left their frozen haunts to travel to the balmy weather of Southern Canada and the northern U.S.  The summer of 2013 was apparently a great breeding season for Snowy Owl up in the arctic tundra, and tons of offspring were born and dispersed across the south.  This year is an echo of that, and we are once again getting plenty of reports from across the province.  I had my first of the winter season today driving home from work with my buddy Steve.  The bird was out in a field just north of Conestogo on some old farm equipment.  I quickly stopped the car and snapped a few pictures.  Not great shots, but a nice surprise on the way home!

This bird has very limited black markings and is almost pure white indicating that it is an adult male
On a related note, I seem to be finding interesting white birds on my drive to and from work.  I have had Snowy Owls, Snowy Egret and Snow Goose, what will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment