Tuesday 30 August 2016

Red Knot - Tollgate Ponds

On my way home from Kingston this weekend I decided to swing by Hamilton to see if I could see some interesting birds, in part to test out my new spotting scope (Vortex Razor HD).  Many awesome shorebirds have been reported from Hamilton the past week or so.  My first stop was the Canada Centre of Inland Waters where a Red Knot had been reported.  I looked for a few minutes but with no luck, so I moved on to the Tollgate Ponds.  I had been there for 15 minutes when a stout shorebird popped up right in front of me, and there was the Red Knot!  It was great to see this species that I so infrequently find. The Rufa subspecies of Red Knot is considered an Endangered species in Ontario.




I also stopped by Windermere Basin, but didn't find the Marbled Godwit.  My last stop was the Redhill Stormwater Pond, which is an absolute death trap to get in and out of at rush hour.  But, I was rewarded with 10 Stilt Sandpipers, so it was all worthwhile.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, so it was you that I saw at Windermere Basin! I didn't have any luck finding the Marbled Godwit either, but I did get decent views of the bird the previous day (crappy record shots can be viewed at birdsbugsbotany.blogspot.ca). You got better views of the Red Knot than I did...I barely managed to make it out in the fading light at the CCIW.

    Good birding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me! I should have introduced myself, I was engrossed in looking for the godwit. Next time!

      Delete