Tuesday 14 April 2015

Eurasian Wigeon - Bannister Lake

A Eurasian Wigeon was reported south of Cambridge on Bannister Lake a few days ago, so Chris Law and I decided to go check it out after work.  It was a beautiful male bird and we quickly found it and had some good looks through our scope!  The bird was probably about 700m away, so a bit out of the range of my camera, but I snapped a few record shots  anyways.  The chestnut collared head and yellow forehead stripe is distinctive even at a distance.

Eurasian Wigeon
Eurasian Wigeon
Bannister Lake from the viewing platform
In other news, I was down near Sarnia for work the other day and had a minute to check out the shoreline.  I had a few migrants including Yellow-rumped Warbler, Ruby-crowned Kinglet and several Broad-winged Hawks along the shoreline.  The weather was phenomenal, with temperatures climbing to 23 Celsius.  From the look of the photo below, it could have been June!

Lake Huron
 I snapped one shot of a Broad-winged Hawk as it went over, not a great shot, but I like it anyways!

Broad-winged Hawk

No comments:

Post a Comment