Monday 20 April 2015

Birding Update

Well we are just on the cusp of the truly prime bird migration to begin here in Ontario, although the forecast is calling for below seasonal weather through to the end of April.  Currently I am sitting at 129 species in Ontario for 2015, which is still slightly ahead of last years numbers.  I am heading down to Essex County for some field work the next few days and I'm hoping to zip over to the park and pick up a few new species of warbler for the year.  I will keep you posted if I find any rarities!

Meanwhile, some of our resident birds have already initiated the nesting process.  The Black-capped Chickadees seem to have set up shop in a small tree cavity outside my condo window.  One of the perks of being on the 4th floor at tree top level!



I've had a few interesting birds at or near my condo in Fergus this year including Merlin, Northern Mockingbird, Common Raven and Bald Eagle!  Not too shabby considering I haven't really spent any time on the balcony yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment