Sunday 2 February 2014

Niagara River- Birthday Birds

I was down in Stevensville (near Fort Erie) with my in laws and Caitlyn to celebrate our birthdays which both fall on February 1st and I decided to do some birding on our way out today.

I started in Fort Erie and birded up to Queenston, sifting through the abundant waterfowl. I looked for the black vultures at the Queenston overlook but to no avail.  I have never once had luck looking for those guys there!


The most abundant duck on the river was Greater Scaup followed by a smattering of goldeneye, redheads, mergansers, bufflehead, and the occasional canvasback.
Red-breasted Merganser


















An odd pair, a male Hooded Merganser and a female Common Goldeneye in the background


















Male Hooded Merganser on the right.




















I made my way towards the falls and stopped at the Control Gates above the falls to check for gulls.  There was a ton of Great Black-backed Gulls and also as many as 5 Glaucous Gulls.

Great Black-backed Gull was eating a fish and he was not sharing with the Glacous Gull to the right





















As I was getting ready to leave the Control Gates, a young male King Eider floated by near the wall! An exciting find! Unfortunately the current was so strong it sucked him out of view before I could get a picture.  He could be at the bottom of the falls for all I know!

Niagara Falls steams in the background

















Canvasback


















This is what an adult Iceland Gull looks like from the top at Adam Beck





No comments:

Post a Comment