Sunday 10 January 2021

Winter Waterfowl

Birding can be pretty slow at this time of year, but waterfowl are one group that can be found year round, providing you can locate some open water!  I made a trip down to Hamilton on January 1st with a friend and we were rewarded with all the usual species as well as Ross's Geese and a King Eider!  

Definitely the closest I have ever been to Ross's Geese.  We came around the corner at the park and there they were at our feet foraging on the grass beside a busy trail.



The King Eider was out pretty far, so I was only able to get distant record shots.

I participated in the Grand River winter waterfowl survey yesterday and saw the usual species and was able to get a few shots that I was happy with! I think goldeneye are my favourite common duck to photograph - they are quite striking.  The morning sun created a nice golden glow to the water and gave the floating ice a purplish hue.







Common Merganser pair


No comments:

Post a Comment