Friday 18 December 2020

The Barrow's Goldeneye

This morning I was able to get out for a bit of birding.  My gracious wife assumed the baby duties for a few hours while I drove up to Owen Sound to see the long returning Barrow's Goldeneye.  This is a rare species to Ontario, but an obliging male bird has been returning to Owen Sound harbour for the past few years!

After some searching, I discovered the bird on the east side of the harbour.  Below are a few of my favourites - not too bad for being fairly heavily cropped! This is when the 26.2 Mega Pixel sensor shows its worth, since you can crop in while retaining much detail!  I am starting to figure out how to optimize the performance of the Fuji XF 100-400mm, and am quite pleased with it.


He caught a mussel!






2 comments:

  1. Nice photo of the duck! Interesting how some birds return to the same place each year. I saw that duck last January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Blake! Its neat when a recurring bird gives the opportunity for lots of people to see them!

      Delete