Sunday 17 May 2020

The Fullness of Spring - Better Late than Never

I have been enjoying a spring that is just starting to come into its own.  The weather has been so abnormally cold this year that things are almost 2 weeks behind where they should be, although they are catching up!  I have been birding here and there and enjoying seeing spring creep towards the fullness of colour and life that I am accustomed to in May.  Below are a few of the shots I have taken in the last couple of weeks.


Summer Tanager - not quite fully adult male

Summer Tanager - young male

Ruff - a European shorebird, probably the rarest bird I have seen so far this spring, only my 2nd ever

Ruff

An angry White-eyed Vireo.  I'd be pissed off with this weather too!

Short-billed Dowitcher and Dunlin

Great-crested Flycatcher
 One of the highlights of my spring so far was getting into Marcy's Woods at Point Abino in Niagara.  What a fantastic woodlot and great birding to boot!






Baltimore Oriole

Rose-breasted Grosbeak

Red-headed Woodpecker

Scarlet Tanager

4 comments:

  1. Hey Nathan saw your ebird post today from around my neck of the woods. Ive been along the speed a few times and only seen a yellow rumped warbler. This is the first year I've attempted to go out and find birds and was wondering if you had any hints or certain spots you seen that the warblers are hanging out with. I was wondering if you're able to see them or do I have to get better at listening and identifying. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated, hope you have good luck this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zac, thanks for the comment. It's great that you are getting out and looking for birds! I would just encourage you to keep going out. On windy days like yesterday I found that the warblers were in sheltered areas. Listen for chips of chickadees and warblers since if you find one bird you will likely find a flock of several species. So even if you cant identify everything by sound you can still find the birds and track them down. Learning the songs does definitely help, particularly when they are in dense veg or tree tops. Good luck and I hope to see you out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete