Sunday 13 May 2018

Pelee 2018 (Part 1): Point Pelee

I have just returned from a fantastic week down in the Pelee region.  I spent Saturday-Wednesday of this past week in the national park on the mainland and Thursday-Saturday on Pelee Island.  Point Pelee was excellent right out of the gate on Saturday, as the strong winds seemed to have brought in many southern overshoots.  I saw 2 Kentucky Warblers, 2 Worm-eating Warblers, 2 Yellow-breasted Chats and tons of other species!  Below are the highlights of birds I was able to get photos of from the Point.

Louisiana Waterthrush
This is the Kentucky Warbler found on Tilden's Woods that I was able to view along with hordes of other people.  As usual with this species, views were very hard to come by as Kentucky Warblers walk through the dense undergrowth, seldom popping into view.
Kentucky Warbler
 I walked some of the seasonal trails at the north end of the park and came across two people watching another Kentucky Warbler!  This one was much more cooperative and I got some shots that I am very happy with!
Kentucky Warbler


When Charlotte and Bryan arrived, we went back to try to re-find the Tilden's Kentucky and were treated with great views as it actually sat up on a perch!

Ken Burrell found this Worm-eating Warbler that attracted a huge crowd.
Worm-eating Warbler
 We later discovered another bird further north that we believed to be a different bird.
Worm-eating Warbler


 Hooded Warblers were more plentiful than I have ever seen. I believe I saw close to 10 in the time I was at the Point.
Female Hooded Warbler

Male Hooded Warbler

Prothonotary Warbler
 

Black-throated Blue Warbler

Prairie Warbler

Blue-headed Vireo
 White-eyed Vireo were also more common than I recall.  I saw 7 birds at the Point.
White-eyed Vireo

Yellow-throated Vireo

Great Crested Flycatcher

Gray Catbird 
Shorebirds were of course also of interest, with many species being seen at Hillman Marsh.
Willet



American Avocet


I always enjoy my time birding at Point Pelee, and can hardly wait until next spring.  Hopefully I will get back down again this May at some point.  The next post will detail the birds I saw on Pelee Island, including the major highlight of the trip!

1 comment: