Monday 16 May 2016

Two Rare Warblers for the Price of one: Worm-eating Warbler and Yellow-breasted Chat

This morning I had some work down in Essex Region and decided to wake up early to do some bird watching at Point Pelee National Park beforehand.  I'm really glad I did, because I was able to re-find the Worm-eating Warbler which had been on Chinquipin Trail for the past few days.  After searching around in the area for a while I eventually heard the insect-like trill of this species and tracked it down.  I had incredible views as the bird climbed up the trunk of a tree right in front of me!

Worm-eating Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
After wandering around the tip of Pelee waiting for the tram to come pick me up, I spotted a bird hopping along on the edge of a bush.  A beautiful Yellow-breasted Chat!  I was thrilled, not one but two great warblers!  This guy hung around for a minute or two and one other person saw it until it vanished into the undergrowth as only chats can do!
Yellow-breasted Chat - Peek a boo!
Orchard Oriole
 I stopped very quickly at Hillman Marsh and had hundreds of Black-bellied Plover (pictured below) as well as American Golden Plover, Dunlin, Short-billed Dowitcher, Ruddy Turnstone among others.
Black-bellied Plovers
 Can anyone guess what species these eggs belong to?  Spotted in a wet hedgerow.  I will post the answer shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment