Sunday 17 April 2016

Long Point - Spring Has Arrived and so Have Louisiana Waterthrush

I finally got around to getting some half decent material for a blog post this past weekend after travelling down to the Long Point Provincial Park area for some bird watching.  The weather was absolutely perfect for walking around in a T-shirt.

I love the sand dunes along the edge of Lake Erie in this location.  Almost as white as snow.


American Coot
I saw my first warblers of the year today, with many Yellow-rumped and Pine Warblers flitting about.
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Pine Warbler
 Lots of sparrows were present including several Field Sparrows.  This one hid in the grass and was hard to get a clear shot!
Field Sparrow
Brown Creeper
Sandhill Cranes
Purple Finch
Along the road in Long Point they have set up these short fences to block reptiles such as snakes and turtles from getting onto the road.  The fence was broken down in several spots, and as I walked along I found several snakes stranded on the wrong side.  I quickly picked them up and helped them over to the other side.


Eastern Garter Snake
A saw this interesting looking melanistic Garter Snake.  For some reason, some individuals are nearly entirely black.



I bumped into Brett Woodman at Old Cut and he tipped me off to some Louisiana Waterthrush at Backus Woods north of the park.  I hiked through the trails of this beautiful forest and eventually heard that distinctive song.


 This one flew up overhead and perched nicely on a branch for me.

Louisiana Waterthrush

Louisiana Waterthrush
And of course, Chipmunks are also out and about!


Forster's Terns were also present along the lakeshore.  These photos were taken a few days prior on Lake St. Clair.  Such a beautiful bird!


Forster's Tern

Forster's Tern - note those white wingtips

I plan to be much more active in the field over the next few weeks, so you can expect to see more frequent posts in the coming days,

No comments:

Post a Comment