Tuesday 26 April 2016

A One Day Trip to Alberta

This weekend I did a quick blitz to Alberta for work, leaving on Sunday afternoon and returning on Monday evening.  I was sent out to do some raptor surveys near Provost, Alberta near the Saskatchewan border.  It was an enjoyable, albeit brief trip to the province and I didn't have any time to poke around.  I enjoyed seeing some of the western bird species that they have out there such as Black-billed Magpie, Swainson's Hawk and Western Meadowlark.  Below are a few pictures of the trip.  I hope I get to go out again when winter isn't clinging on so doggedly.

I found the rolling hills and pock marked landscape of prairie potholes to be surprisingly scenic.  Each pothole was full of various species of waterfowl and a real delight to investigate.




I stopped by a field of geese and quickly realized it was a huge flock of Greater White-fronted Geese! More than I have ever seen out east!
Greater White-fronted Geese
Greater White-fronted Geese

My nice rental car for the time I was there. I quadrupled the mileage on this brand new Jeep.

Northern Shoveler
Franklin's Gulls!
Out of focus American Avocets
Another great perk of the job I work at, seeing interesting places that I otherwise wouldn't get to.




No comments:

Post a Comment