Tuesday 23 September 2014

Fall Migration: Birds on the Move

With the fall migration in full swing I have been keeping my eyes out for interesting and unusual birds passing through the area.  I haven't had much luck the past few days, but that's the excitement of birding, you never know when something rare will fly by!  In the meantime, here are a few shots I've taken the past couple of days in the Waterloo and Fergus area.

I had just got home from work and heard that a snow goose was reported from the Nexans ponds up the road from my house in Fergus, so I made the short drive up and snapped a few shots.  It was quite far away and the shots are taken at full zoom so forgive the graininess.  I designated this as an ebird birding hotspot a little while ago and I'm happy to see some unusual species showing up here!  I will have to check it as the fall progresses to see what else turns up!

Snow Goose sitting
Snow Goose standing
I have also been checking Columbia Lake the past few days to see if I can pick up any warblers migrating through but I have had precious little here the past few times.

Great Egret, not a great shot but kind of neat lighting

Magnolia Warbler butt

No comments:

Post a Comment