Wednesday 29 December 2021

Niagara River Magic

 I have been out to the Niagara River twice in the past month for some birding.  During these trips I saw many of the usual gull targets and a few rarities!

During my first trip in early December I had the pleasure of seeing two Razorbill at Niagara-on-the-Lake, unfortunately they were very far out, closer to the US side.  This is an ocean going species that rarely shows up on the Great Lakes.

Razorbill!
At the Queenston Boat docks Josh P and I had Little Gulls and great looks at Black Vultures!
Little Gull (black underwings), Bonaparte's Gulls, and American fishers.

Black Vulture

I was down in the area for Christmas and went out on boxing day for some birding!  I was excited to test out a new lens - the Fuji 70-300mm.  It is a heck of a lot smaller and lighter than the 400mm and definitely holds its own.  I think it is faster focusing and maybe a hair sharper.

Ring-billed Gull above the falls

Iceland Gull at Adam Beck

Lightly marked gull that I took for a Thayer's at first, but seems like it is just an odd Herring.

The highlight of this trip was definitely a near adult male King Eider (also at Niagara-on-the-Lake)!
King Eider (taken w 400mm)

A Red-throated Loon was hanging out with this bird, and I was able to get both in a single shot!

A couple bonus shots from out and about the last little while around Fergus:


Mallard drakes

Golden-crowned Kinglet


1 comment: