Tuesday 24 November 2020

The Shrike

 This morning I went on a short walk to Belwood Lake to look for some more winter birds and was rewarded with an obliging Northern Shrike that allowed me to snap a few photos.  I was quite happy with the shots that I got.

My first few shots show that this shrike was feeding on something, possibly another bird.  Shrikes are a predatory songbird that eat rodents, small birds, and insects.  They have always been a favourite winter bird of mine, as they are very active and allows doing something interesting.  The dense scaling on the breast and faint mask show that this is a young (first winter) bird.




After finishing its breakfast, the young shrike flew to a less obstructed perch.




Other birds of note included lots of redpolls, pine siskins, and two more Pine Grosbeak! So far I have only had young and female birds.  I am still waiting on my bright red male grosbeak!



3 comments:

  1. I am still waiting for a bright male as well, and I'd like to photograph one!
    Nice photos of the shrike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Blake! And good luck on the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete