Friday 3 August 2018

Algonquin Park 2018 - East Side!

Last weekend I took a few days off to go on our annual family canoe trip to Algonquin park with my dad, brother, wife and niece.  We decided to do the east side of the park, which was a bit further drive, but well worth it! We started out in Achray on Grand Lake, staying our first night on Stratton Lake followed by Opalescent Lake and finally the Barron River before heading out at Squirrel Rapids.

Highlights for me included an Olive-sided Flycatcher calling in a burn on High Falls Lake, a pair of Barred Owls calling on Opalescent Lake, High Falls waterslide and the Barron Canyon!

Below are a few of my favourite scenery shots from the trip.


We enjoyed watching this young Northern Watersnake hunting along the edge of the shore.  It had a good chase on some minnows and almost got one!



My niece Emma took this photo of this Great Blue Heron sunbathing.  Great shot Emma!

It had been a few years since I had seen the Barron Canyon, and my first time seeing it from the river level!  Spectacular cliffs!


High Falls is spectacular, we all enjoyed going down this natural rock water slide! What a blast!  Here Emma goes down on the bumpy side.

I always enjoy this trip and hope we can keep up this tradition every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment