Monday 9 January 2017

More Waterfowl - Barrow's Goldeneye and a Blue Goose

I was up in Ottawa this past weekend, and while the main purpose of the trip was to see family and friends and take in the Sens-Oilers game, I often have ulterior motives.  One bird that I really wanted to see was the Barrow's Goldeneye, a bonafide rarity pretty much anywhere in Ontario besides Ottawa in the winter.  I checked the Hurdman's Bridge on the Rideau on Sunday morning and was immediately rewarded with this beauty of a bird!

Male Barrow's Goldeneye


I also stopped on the way up to Ottawa with my friend Jensen where we located the "blue morph" Snow Goose which had been spotted earlier.  There was also apparently a Greater White-fronted Goose, but we could not find it among the hundreds of Canada Geese.
Blue morph Snow Goose

No comments:

Post a Comment