Monday 30 December 2013

Amherst Island

Over the Christmas break I decided to go check out Amherst Island for some owling.  My wife Caitlyn and I headed over on December 23rd and as expected found numerous snowy owls shortly after getting off the ferry.  We found 5 on the east end of the island, all immature/female types (darker individuals).  Unfortunately I forgot my camera or I would have awesome pictures to show off!

We didn't find any owls in owl woods, perhaps because of the massive ice storm that occurred the days leading up to this trip which coated the branches and ground with a couple inches of ice.  The ground was so hard that we could walk on top of the snow without breaking through.  I suspect the lack of owls in the woods may have been related to this since if the owls cannot break through the snow then they are unable to capture the voles and mice which are found below the surface.

That's all for now.  I hope to have some pictures up shortly of some other adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment